THE TRADITIONAL USE OF MUSHROOMS
- Mushrooms have been used for thousands of years and in multiple cultures to heal and prevent disease by supporting the immune system.
- Mushrooms have been given in addition to antibiotics to accelerate recovery from infection. Some studies are even contemplating prescribing mushrooms when patients have reached antibiotic resistance, in other words, when antibiotics have been overused and are not working anymore.
- In addition to helping fight and prevent infections, many studies are now finding that some mushrooms have properties that may help prevent cancer. As we understand more that cancer is an illness fed by a suboptimal immune system, blends of mushrooms have become common prescriptions to prevent the recurrence of cancer.
- Mushrooms contain substances called Beta Glucans, soluble fibers that come from the cell walls of bacteria, fungi, yeasts, and some plants. Beta Glucans stimulate the immune system by increasing chemicals that prevent infections.
- Beta Glucans have multiple medicinal properties and one that is well known is their Cholesterol lowering effects. Beta Glucans are preventing the body from absorbing cholesterol, therefore lowering the risk for cardiovascular disease. The drug Lovastatin, for instance, is made from mushrooms and its cholesterol lowering effects are derived from these Beta Glucans.
CANCER AND THE IMMUNE SYSTEM
- Preserving and optimizing our immune system is essential for health and longevity.
- Our immunity relies on a surveillance system that is constantly watching over our cells, getting rid of foreign invaders that can potentially hurt us such as viruses and bacteria.
- The immune system is also looking out for cells that are not functioning well in our body and could make us sick. For instance, when the immune system sees a cell that is growing abnormally such as a cancer cell, it directly attacks it and keeps it from propagating disease.
- The same process takes place for what we call senescent cells, the aging cells that make us old and can lead to illness. Senescent cells are old cells that have become defective and can cause disease. Senescent cells have been around too long and are not operating well enough to support our organs and all the systems in our body.
- When our immune system functions well, it naturally gets rid of these old cells. Many anti-aging treatments are helping the turnover of senescent cells with “senolytic” products and interventions.
HOW TO TAKE MUSHROOMS
- Ideally we would consume mushrooms with their Beta Glucan content regularly in our diet. Today, it is likely more suitable to take a mushroom blend in a supplement capsule.
- The most commonly used mushrooms are Cordiceps, Reishi, Maitake, Shiitake, Lions Mane, Turkey Tail. However, even White Button mushrooms, the common ones found at the supermarket, contain Beta Glucans.
- Take good care of your immune system. Look for new mushroom recipes to include them more into your diet; take a good mushroom blend supplement such as our HighBe Immune Support; and boost your immunity with breath work and meditation.
To purchase HighBe Immune Support Supplement:
To access my Breathing program:
In Vibrant Health,
Evelyne Leone, DO, Faarm, Abbarm